It’s the most wonderful time of the year.
Things to Do in Toronto in Winter
Cozy nights, twinkling lights and an abundance of natural spaces make for a warm welcome at this time of year.
Now is the time of longer nights and brighter lights in Toronto. After an exhilarating day of shopping or urban skating, watch the lights set the city aglow as evening sets in. There’s extra time now to revel in long evenings with your favourite people, taking comfort in a delicious meal or cocktail and safely exploring Toronto’s unique neighbourhoods and winter landscapes.
Toronto doesn’t show signs of stopping when snow hits the ground. The frosty foliage and sparkling snowflakes make the perfect backdrop for quintessential winter activities like tobogganing, ice skating and snowshoeing. Bundle up, grab a cup of hot chocolate and explore the great outdoors, Toronto-style.
- Catch the ferry to Toronto Islands—snowshoeing and cross-country skiing await!
- Skate up a storm at Nathan Phillips Square, or any of Toronto’s skating rinks
- Bundle up and explore the snowy trails of Rouge National Urban Park or Evergreen Brickworks
- Capture the wintery relics in Guild Park & Gardens, or take your camera to the Waterfront for more winter views
- Get some fresh air with a brisk open-air workout
As one of the most diverse cities in the world, Toronto has over 140 neighbourhoods, each with its own unique style and vibe. And if you think you’ve seen it all, think again—each neighbourhood completely transforms in the winter, bringing a new, magical feel to the city.
- Wander the quaint cobblestone streets of the Distillery Winter Village
- Have a quintessential Toronto experience in the South Core
- Feel the winter magic in family-friendly Cabbagetown
- Take a winter workcation in the Financial District
- Treat that special someone to a romantic date night in Chinatown
- Bundle up for a day of indoor and outdoor fun on Yonge Street
Food & Drink
Toronto’s culinary scene is hot, no matter the time of year. Take advantage of the cooler temperatures and indulge in comfort foods that warm you up from the inside. Whether you’re in the mood for Eastern European eats or a taste of Tibet, you’re sure to find a dish to satisfy any palette in the 6ix.
With indoor dining currently closed, your favourite Toronto restaurants are still open for takeout or delivery — check out To Go Toronto for inspiration on what to order.
- Embark on a sweet trip with a waffle tour of Koreatown
- Brunch with your besties in Toronto’s locally-loved neighbourhoods: Liberty Village, Cabbagetown, Riverside, or Bloor West Village
- Cheers to the winter season with a cool-weather cocktail
- Explore the iconic eats of Kensington Market
- Dine in style with those you love by booking a private dinner in Ossington Village
Shop ‘til you drop
Winter means shopping season in Toronto. Find all the retail therapy you need at Toronto’s malls like the Eaton Centre or Yorkdale. Or, make a day of it and explore Toronto’s neighbourhood shopping hotspots. You’ll be supporting local and look good while doing it.
- Pick up unqiue fashion, lifestyle and foodie finds in Little Portugal—don’t forget to grab a pastel de nata while you’re there
- Splurge on luxury goods while taking in the sparkling lights of Yorkville
- Hunt for the perfect vintage treasure in Leslieville
- Take a tour of Gerrard East—and warm up with classic Little India dishes when you're done
- Shop for chic must-have mementos along King Street West.