Born in the early days of the pandemic as one of the first truly global virtual conferences, WRLDCTY returns this month as a showcase for urban innovation and ideas. And Toronto returns to that global stage as a Host City, featuring a number of compelling Toronto stories. Toronto joins New York, London, Singapore, Hong Kong and others.
Destination Toronto has arranged a special code that enables individuals and businesses in the community to register for WRLDCTY for free.
REGISTER TODAY USING THE PROMO CODE TORONTO GUEST
Cities have faced unique challenges throughout the pandemic – in many ways a shared experience among leading cities around the world. At the same time, innovation at the city level is also pointing the way in fields from sustainability and mobility to culinary and culture. These are the very stories coming to the Toronto stage this year at WRLDCTY.
Mayor John Tory leads off the Toronto stage, in conversation with Leslie Woo, CEO of CivicAction on learnings and strategies from Toronto in setting the stage for cities’ recovery, how we use public space and address issues of equity and sustainability.
Following the Mayor, the content for Toronto stage was developed jointly by Destination Toronto, the Toronto Region Board of Trade and Toronto Global:
STEERING TOWARDS AN AI MOVEMENT FUTURE
- Moderated by Jan De Silva, President & CEO, Toronto Region Board of Trade
- Featuring Baher Abdulhai, Director, Toronto Intelligent Transportation Systems Centre, and Professor, University of Toronto; and Dr. Igor Gilitschenski, Assistant Professor of Computer Sciences, University of Toronto
INNOVATE OR DIE: HOW THE URBAN CULINARY SCENE CAN THRIVE IN A POST-PANDEMIC WORLD
- Moderated by Agatha Podgorsky, Director, Communications, Culinary Tourism Alliance
- Featuring: Trevor Lui, Chef & Restaurant Owner, Co-Creator, Highbell Group; and Max Meighen, Founder, Avling Kitchen and Brewery
CULTIVATING CREATIVITY FROM CRISIS
- Moderated by Mary Rowe, CEO, Canadian Urban Institute
- Featuring: Ashley McKenzie Barnes, Creative Director, Curator & Founder D.PE Agency; and Devyani Saltzman, Arts Leader, Curator & Consultant.
WHAT ESPORTS TEACHES US ABOUT THE FUTURE OF ENTERTAINMENT
- A one-on-one conversation with Chris Overholt, President & CEO, OverActive Media, led by Jeff Harris, National Leader, Sport Business Advisory at Deloitte Canada. The esports session takes place at the brand new Red Bull Gaming Studio at OverActive Media.
FUTURE OF CANADIAN CITIES
- Moderated by Andrew King, Chief Design Officer, Lemay
- Featuring Brenda Webster Tweel, Senior Associate, Urban Places, Stantec; and Matthew Hickey, Architect, Designer and Assistant Professor, OCAD
Register for the full conference for free using Destination Toronto’s exclusive promo code: TORONTOGUEST
Thank you to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre for hosting WRLDCTY’s Toronto Stage at the stunning John Bassett Theatre. WRLDCTY runs from October 26-28, with Toronto’s program airing on October 27 from 1-7 EST.